BICYCLING AND MOTORCYCLING - The many backroads in Rockbridge County Virginia, which surrounds Historic Lexington, make for some delightful bicycling and motorcycling. We have plenty of maps and books for your perusal in planning your riding vacation.
- The 4600 mileTrans-America Bike Trail, which goes all the way to Oregon, passes right in front of A B&B at LlewellynLodge. Riders can start all of these rides from the Lodge and any direction they take will always take to a nice destination.
- One of our cylists' favorite loop rides is the Goshen Gallop) will features rolling hills, stream side and mountain scenery, elevation change and the opportunity to do a picnic in one of Virginia's most spectacular natural areas, Goshen Pass. Cool off in the warmer months in one of the many swimming holes. This can be a 45-65 mile loop depending on your stamina levels.
- Other rides include a trip that will take you by the Natural Bridge, the breathtaking limestone formation that is one of America's true Natural Wonders.
- Another loop ride takes you past 4 vineyards, a working Mill and 4 breweries.
- Another ride takes you to a mountain lake which features a challenging hill climb or 2.
- The 5 minutes away is the Chessie Trail, a rails to trail, open to cyclists. Experience the 12-14 mile down & back journey along the very scenic Maury River to the town of Buena Vista.
MOUNTAIN BIKERS can use certain areas in the National and State Forest. The State's Guys Run Game Management Area has some maintained roads near the Goshen Pass Naural Area but a daily fee is required. The North Mountain Trail is a more formidable ride at a higher elevation in the National Forest with some nice vistas.
FOR THE MOTORCYCLISTS we can offer several outstanding rides which can include the Blue Ridge Parkwayy. the Allegheny Highlands and even West Virginia. We have plenty of maps and other resource books to help you plan your one or multiple day rides.
- One of our guests' favorites starts at the Lodge and takes you to the mountains of Bath and Highland counties, no red lights or heavy traffic to worry about. Excellent seasonal foliage shows coupled with good old mountain air with lots of curves to test your bike on this one.
- Many like to ride back through the Bullpasture Gorge.
- Another favorite is taking the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Skyline Drive and looping back Rt 340 , Rt 11 or other meandering secondary roads. Vineyards are usually along the way.
ENJOY COUNTRY CLUB PRIVILEGES AT OUR LOCAL PRIVATE LEXINGTON GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB, a 3 minute drive away. All of our guests love the golf course layout which is over 6800 yard layout with several undulating greens to challenge you. The back nine is on higher ground with magnificent views of the Blue Ridge and Allegheny mountains. A driving range closeby will help you get warmed up. Tennis by day or under the lights is also an option.
HORSEBACK RIDING is always fun in our area, most times you guaranteed to see some great scenery, wildlife and more. We have several outfitters closeby who offer some great rides.
SPORTING CLAYS AT THE GLORIOUS TWELFTH – 1455 Brownsburg Turnpike, Fairfield, VA 24435. (540) 348-6214. An English Sporting Clay School with qualified coaching for the novice or experienced shot. Nestled in historic Brownsburg, VA, this school provides a private client approach that can improve your technique and increase your success rate. Facilities are also available for corporate and simulated driven game days. Coaching is provided by a British Association of Shooting and Conservation qualified shotgun coach, mentor and safe shot assessor. Special rates and multiple booking discounts available for shared bookings, young shot and ladies days.
GEMS OF GEOCACHING TRAIL - offers a treasure hunt that the whole family can enjoy using GPS coordinates to locate hidden geocaches. GPS units available on loan from the Lexington Visitor Center. 1-877-453-8922.